Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Re-invention, and a Caution

I've discovered recently, after years of just being a "big nerd", that I am actually a Data Scientist.  Imagine!  But wait, let me take some credit....perhaps I was only in stealth mode.

This clever marketing of professionals every organization needs tickles me to no end.  I wish I'd thought of it.  Suddenly there is buzz about the shortage of us in the workforce.  I'm heartened by that recognition after my earlier rant in this space about the big data spree and the looming need for sense-making and pattern recognition among all those data points.

Readers...what kind of data scientists do you see being needed by your organizations?  What kind of information is most helpful to today's decision-making workforce, and where would you want to look to find it most easily?

                 ***    ----    ***    ----    ***    ----    ***

Complete topic change.  Lately I have gotten a couple of troubling data requests from "consultants" who want individual level student data.  We're not comfortable with that, largely because of privacy concerns, and also because of some federal legislation that we dislike to violate.  Messy...

In a few cases, these "consultants" have turned out to be marketing firms upon further examination.  Colleagues, please check out all outside requests.  Even one that looked legitimate on its face turned out to be unaffiliated with the research study it purported to sponsor.

May your zeroes and ones all land in the right fields.

No comments:

Post a Comment